Tips for a successful newborn session: Baby
- A well fed baby is a happy baby! Please feed and burp the baby right before our session to ensure a happy, sleepy baby. We will be more than happy to take as many breaks as needed to help him/her get necessary food and energy.
- We recommend parents to keep their baby awake 1-2 hours before we start the session. Most of the images we’ll be shooting work best if the baby is in a deep sleep. Some tips are to play with the baby, talk with the baby, or maybe even give the baby a bath before the session.
- The baby should be dressed in comfortable loose clothing to prevent marks on the skin. This also avoids waking him/her up during the photo shoot.
- We recommend that you keep your home a bit warmer than normal during the session (around 80 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal). Pushing up the thermostat is guaranteed to make the session flow more smoothly and help him/her sleep better. We may be sweating, but the baby will be nice and warm.
- Please don’t panic if your baby decides to use our blankets or us as his/her own personal bathroom.
- Newborn sessions can last anywhere from 2-4 hours. It all depends on the baby’s mood and willingness to sleep. Unfortunately this isn’t something we can predict! During the photo session you can relax, take a nap or even go on a little walk if you like.
- Please do whatever you can to prevent loud noises during our session.
- We really don’t need much space and can create our “mini studio” in any location. Ideally setting up near a large window or glass door will provide the best natural light needed for great pictures of your baby. We might need to move furniture around if we need to make room for ourselves, but don’t worry – we’ll put it all back when we are done!
Tips for a successful newborn session: Parents
- If Mom chooses light color clothing, then Dad should go with light colors also. If Dad wants to wear dark gray or black it would be best to have Mom in the same dark tones. This helps keep unity throughout the family pictures.
- My favorite colors are lighter choices, but please keep them from being a distraction. We want the baby to be the focus of all of these pictures!
- I highly recommend to not wear any clothing with large logos, motifs or characters. These graphics, particularly logos and well known characters, can really distract from the focal point – your lovely faces.